There are numerous possibilities in terms of formats, ideas, and preparations for a podcast. As video’s influence on the industry intensifies, it’s likely that this trend will keep developing.
Out of all the available formatting choices for a company podcast, there are three that are widely utilized.
A single speaker delivering their message in an interview format, with a high level of production quality.
In this part, we will talk about each one separately and elaborate on how video can affect them.
Audiences of Interview-Style Shows
What is an interview-style show?
The prevalent type of video podcast is the one mentioned here, with over 44% of companies surveyed stating that they utilize this format.
A talk show typically features one or more hosts engaging in an interview with a single guest or a group of guests.
These episodes primarily revolve around the guest’s responses to the host’s inquiries, and may feature an expert on a particular topic or someone with an engaging narrative to share.
The length of these podcasts can greatly differ, ranging from 15 minutes to several hours similar to Tim Ferriss.
Below are several advantages of an interview-style video podcast:
- The inclusion of a guest in your podcast allows you to reach a wider audience through the promotion of the episode to the guest’s followers.
- It is suitable for creating short videos and content that can be easily shared.
- It is possible to record it entirely from a distance with great convenience.
- The host is presented with a chance to demonstrate their knowledge on a particular subject.
- It enables the sharing of various viewpoints and varied life experiences.
- with their customers, which is crucial for success. By establishing a good relationship with customers, companies can gain their trust and loyalty. This ultimately leads to increased sales and profitability. Networking also provides opportunities for companies to expand their customer base by gaining referrals and recommendations from satisfied customers.
- It assists organizations in disseminating valuable information to a wider audience.
- Enhancing one’s credibility and expertise in a specific field may be achieved by this.
There are some disadvantages to having an interview-style video podcast:
- The key factor for its success is identifying the appropriate guests who can captivate and involve the audience.
- Conducting excellent interviews necessitates significant research effort.
- It entails accommodating one’s tasks based on the availability of others.
What is most important to fans of interview-based programs?
Individuals who enjoy this particular format of podcast desire illuminating anecdotes. They tune in specifically for the interviewer’s skillful inquiries and the informative and engaging responses provided by the guests.
Top-notch corporate podcasts are aware of this fact and focus on optimizing around it:
- With thoughtful follow-up questions allows for a more engaging and informative conversation.
- When the host is able to dive deeper and explore different angles of a topic, it provides valuable insight and perspective for the audience.
- A skilled host can also help facilitate productive discussions between guests, bringing out important points and ideas that might otherwise go unexplored.
- Ultimately, having a talented host can make all the difference in creating compelling content that resonates with viewers or listeners.
- Booking diverse guests with interesting ideas and novel experiences.
Bringing together these two components is a sure-fire way to achieve success with interview-style programs. If you can consistently provide compelling content, viewers will tune in even for episodes that don’t match their particular interests.
What is the impact of video content on these followers?
The popularity of interview-style podcast episodes is increasing, and video format is now the most preferred way to consume them.
According to a survey, more than three-quarters of company podcasts expect video podcasting to become the standard mode of recording in the next five years.
Shows that rely on interviews, such as My First Million, the Tim Ferriss Show and the Joe Rogan Experience, have become increasingly popular in recent years. This trend is expected to gain even more momentum, as more interview-based shows incorporate video components into their programming.
The audience finds it very attractive to not only have the opportunity to hear an interesting conversation but also to be able to see it.
The incorporation of nonverbal cues such as facial expressions and gestures, as well as entertaining visual elements, suggest that in the near future, this platform is likely to be primarily based on video content.
Audiences of Solo Speaker Shows
What is a solo speaker show?
A number of podcast hosts who choose to expedite the process of broadcasting by handling all aspects of production independently.
This approach can prove to be very effective as it allows the host to have complete authority and eliminates the need for external support. However, only a few hosts reportedly utilize this format. Nineteen percent of the podcasts produced are from the company.
A solo speaker presentation involves a solitary host leading the entire show by themselves, usually in the form of a quasi-monologue. It may include sharing stories and participating in tangential discussions.
Below are some advantages of having a video podcast with only one speaker:
- The processes of recording and editing are usually easier.
- It facilitates the formation of a strong personal bond with your listeners.
- This grants the company complete authority over the plot and storytelling of the program.
- This feature permits organizations to delve deeply into particular subjects without getting sidetracked.
- This feature enables corporations to document and release their content at their own pace without any limitation.
- The credibility and expertise in a particular field can be quickly enhanced.
The Solo-Speaker video podcast has some disadvantages which include the following:
- Having a strong social media presence does not necessarily provide you with the ability to reach new audiences that belong to someone else.
- If there is only one person involved, the material being presented may not be as interesting or appealing.
- You are solely responsible for delivering quality performance and creating excellent content.
What is the most important thing for people who enjoy watching solo performances?
The primary focus of this type of program is establishing a strong and engaging relationship with the audience. Viewers are drawn to the show mainly because of the presenter or group involved.
When the host and audience engage in a personalized and intimate interaction, it results in strong devotion. Due to the fact that this type of format is challenging to execute effectively, viewers highly admire hosts who are able to accomplish it in an engaging manner.
Viewers of this kind of programming are likely seeking uncommon knowledge, original perspectives or sheer amusement. The success or failure of these programs is reliant on the presenter’s capacity to provide profound revelations or pure pleasure.
In what way is video striking a chord with these supporters?
It is true that creating an engaging format with only one person on screen, like in an interview or high-production show, can be challenging. This is because there are fewer visual cues and interesting content to capture the audience’s attention.
Despite this, nearly one-fifth (19%) of company podcasters who were surveyed stated that they employ a format featuring a single speaker when recording their podcast.
There is potential for growth in the format of this video podcast. In order to fully achieve its potential, companies and creators must provide responses to the following inquiries:
- What can I do to make the information more interesting or captivating?
- What kind of visual components can I include over the single speaker’s audio and video?
- What can I do to set my solo speaking presentation apart from others?
- of time during my presentation? One effective strategy is to incorporate interactive elements into your presentation. Ask questions, solicit feedback, and engage the audience in activities that require their participation. This will not only make the presentation more interesting for the audience but also help them to better retain the information you are conveying. Additionally, try to be enthusiastic and energetic throughout the presentation as this can be contagious and help keep audience members engaged.
- What elements from other styles can I add to my solo presentation to make it more captivating and interesting?
Audiences of High-Production Shows
What is a high-production show?
There are various types of high-production podcasts, each with its own distinct style. For example, some utilize narration and smooth transitions to communicate lengthy stories, much like true crime podcasts.
Others depict stories through voiceovers and reenactments. Additionally, some podcasts take the form of talk shows.
A show that necessitates B-roll footage, audio and extensive editing to make the podcast interesting is known as a high-production show.
Below are a few advantages of a video podcast with high production quality:
- It creates a sense of professionalism that makes it easier to attract new listeners.
- This enables companies to narrate significant stories in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
- Companies benefit from being able to release a refined product that enhances their brand image.
- It appeals to people who appreciate meaningful and distinct encounters with content.
- Its distinctive format inherently makes it more easily shareable.
- Other brands or podcasts cannot easily duplicate it.
- A high-quality show draws in skilled individuals who are interested in working on it.
- The company’s brand appeals to high-quality guests who feel at ease being associated with it.
The disadvantages of a video podcast with high production quality are as follows:
- Other styles of podcasts take less time compared to this one.
- Creating exceptional audio content requires a vastly different approach compared to creating outstanding video content in the same style.
What is of primary importance for fans of shows with high production values?
People who enjoy high-quality productions seek entertainment as their top priority. They desire to discover fresh narratives and gain knowledge. The structure of storytelling in podcasts is highly appreciated by them.
The desired outcomes of this group of listeners vary from the aforementioned programs. With interview-based podcasts, audiences expect to acquire a wider understanding and fresh perspectives.
Conversely, when listening to solo speaker podcasts, they aim to establish an intimate bond with the host while seeking out a particular tone and perspective.
Nevertheless, viewers of high-end productions desire a distinct perspective presented with a refined visual style.
In what way is video having an impact on these followers?
This region has a lot of untapped possibilities, yet there are hardly any actual instances of businesses currently performing exceptionally well.
For businesses that are willing to portray their big ideas in a visual way, there exists a valuable occasion. Viewers are expected to show interest in this kind of material as it allows them to step away from instructional content.