What is podcast transcription?
Podcast transcription involves turning the spoken words in your podcast into a text version. This can be achieved either through the use of automated software or by doing it manually, where you listen to the recording and type out every word.
Automated software can be used during a podcast recording to instantly transcribe the content into text. However, it is more typical to transcribe the podcast after the recording has been completed.
Why you should transcribe your podcast
Transcribing a podcast into text may seem unnecessary since podcasts are primarily meant to be listened to.
Certainly, though podcasts primarily rely on audio, generating transcriptions can contribute to the improvement of your podcast’s popularity. Additionally, repurposing content proves to be a beneficial strategy in expanding your audience reach. You can transform these transcripts into descriptive material, blog entries or even captions for your podcast.
Keep reading to discover the advantages that you can enjoy if you choose to transcribe your podcasts.
Benefits of podcast transcriptions
According to the World Health Organization, about 430 million people, which is more than 5% of the world’s population, have hearing loss that interferes with their daily life. To ensure your podcast is inclusive and accessible to all listeners, it is crucial to have a transcript.
Reach a new audience
You will not only be able to connect with individuals who are experiencing hearing difficulties but also attract fresh audiences.
- Non-native speakers
- Individuals who have internet access that is not dependable.
- Those who simply prefer reading
Great for listeners short on time
A transcript, particularly one with marked timestamps, can function as a guide for individuals who wish to quickly locate specific information by skipping through it.
Maximize SEO and reach
With a podcast transcription you have a better chance of your content appearing prominently in Google search results.
Additionally, transcripts make your content more accessible to a wider audience, including those who are deaf or hard of hearing, and those who prefer to read rather than listen.
Writing out the transcript also gives you the opportunity to edit and refine the text, making it more concise and easier to understand.
Overall, adding transcripts to your podcast can boost your SEO efforts and improve the user experience for your audience. Improve your search presence and increase your organic engagement immediately.
- Keyword opportunities. You can make sure that your transcript contains keywords by providing your hired transcriber with a list of important keywords.
- Backlink opportunities. Having backlinks is very beneficial for improving your website’s SEO. Furthermore, if your podcast contains specific instructions or recommended resources, including links in the transcript can greatly assist your listeners to take action on them.
Reusable and adaptable content
A document containing a written record of your podcast can add value beyond listening. It allows you to reuse the material for different purposes such as promotional strategies, posts on social media or blogs, etc. There are numerous possibilities!
Get quoted and reviewed!
Ensure that the uplifting content you share on your podcast remains memorable to your listeners by having a transcript available. This allows for accurate quoting, referencing, and reviewing of your podcast’s material.
Transcripts get people to your platform
Offering transcripts of your podcast episodes is a valuable technique for luring listeners from platforms such as Apple or Spotify to visit your website. It provides an opportunity to promote your other offerings and interact with them.
Types of podcast transcripts
File formats for your transcription
You have the freedom to choose how you want to publish your transcription and we will review how others have done it at a later time.
Downloadable PDF or Word Doc. You can provide your audience with a downloadable file of your transcript.
Text to be published on your website. One option is to post your transcript on your website as a blog entry or right below the description of your podcast episode.
SRT File A SubRip Subtitle file, also known as SRT, is a type of file that contains text-based information for subtitles or captions. It is essential as it includes time-codes indicating when the subtitle should start and end to match with the audio timing.
- SRT file format can be used on the majority of social media platforms. This implies that you don’t need to upload your captions manually.
- SRT files are indexed by GoogleThis implies that they have an advantageous impact on search engine optimization.
Manual transcription refers to the process of listening to an audio recording and transcribing it into written text by hand. Automated transcription, on the other hand, involves using software to automatically convert speech into text.
As previously stated, there are two transcription methods: manual and automated. Your decision on which method to use depends on the resources – time, finances, and effort – you are willing to invest in the transcription process.
A person listens to your audio and write down what they hear, which can be done by yourself or by hiring a freelancer or a transcription agency.
- Accuracy. Compared to computers, humans are proficient in comprehending the context, nuances, tone and punctuation in a way that computers cannot. This denotes that you can expect a more natural and easily understandable transcript that requires minimal or no editing.
- Slow turn-around. In contrast to AI, human transcribers need more time than expected to transcribe even a brief audio recording. This can cause problems in the workflow or result in waiting for the transcribed document.
- Costly.If you choose not to transcribe your podcast on your own, hiring a human transcriber can be costly. There is no standard charge, as it differs depending on the individual or platform. Some individuals charge by the hour of work, while others charge based on the length of audio.
This refers to the automatic generation of a written version of your podcast’s audio using software. Many different transcription programs are accessible on the internet, and we will describe the top choices at a later time.
- Quick and easy. The software solutions are easy to use and understand, and transcription can be done quickly through automation.
- Affordable. Automated transcriptions are generally more inexpensive compared to their manual equivalents since the expense of labor is eliminated.
- Inaccuracy means you must edit. Automated transcriptions frequently contain errors that do not accurately represent the original recording. As a result, even though you have paid for the initial transcription, you or a member of your team will need to revise it before releasing it.
Video Podcasts & Captions
Including transcripts is not limited to only audio podcasts. If you have created a high-definition video podcast using Riverside.fm, there is no reason to exclude captions.
Making your video podcast more inclusive. Adding subtitles to your visual content allows individuals who have difficulty hearing or are not proficient in the language to also benefit from it.
Most of us tend to watch videos silently due to our scroll culture. If you are advertising your video podcast using captivating snippets and expertly edited montages, the addition of captions is necessary. By adding captions, it ensures that even without sound, your intended audience can still appreciate your promotional material.
Subtitles versus Captions
It is common to use the words “subtitles” and “captions” interchangeably, but they do not have the same meaning.
Subtitles are designed for individuals who are not native speakers of the language. They solely convey the conversations and do not include sound effects or any other significant sounds.
Captions are designed for individuals who have difficulty hearing the audio. They transmit all of the conversation and any other important sound information.
- Closed Captions (CC) can be turned off by the viewer
- Open CaptionsThe subtitles are included in the video and cannot be disabled.
How to transcribe your podcast: 3 Ways
This is rather straightforward. If you are transcribing a podcast on your own, simply listen to the audio and start typing.
- Free. Doing the transcribing oneself is ideal for individuals who have limited financial resources.
- Easy. Transcribing your podcast is an easy task. All you have to do is play your podcast recording and type out the words that are spoken.
- AccurateYou have a clear understanding of the content discussed in your session and how you want it to be perceived. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, people have the ability to comprehend context and subtle differences in meaning that machines are incapable of.
- Time and labor-intensive. Do not undervalue the amount of time required to transcribe an hour’s worth of audio. If you are busy, self-transcription may not be feasible for you.
Pay a Transcriptionist
One alternative to doing the laborious task yourself is to utilize a paid podcast transcription service where an expert transcriber will do it for you.
- AccurateHaving a person involved in transcribing ensures that the end result will be without any errors or incorrect use of grammar. This human touch also involves removing any superfluous verbal utterances and errors.
- No need to edit. Transcriptionists who are human can personally revise your transcription, which will enhance its coherence and also reduce the amount of time you need to spend on it.
- Costly. Choosing a human transcriptionist is the most costly solution for evident reasons.
- Longer turnaround time. Having to wait one to two days for the turnaround time from most online services could potentially cause a delay in your workflow.
Use an Automated Transcription Service
The quickest technique among the three is to use a trustworthy podcast transcript generator that can be utilized to upload your podcast’s audio recording. Within minutes, the generator will produce a transcript of your podcast.
- Fast & easyAutomated services usually require less than 24 hours of processing time. Simply upload the recording and wait until it’s completed.
- AffordableThe development of technology has prompted the emergence of numerous software-driven transcription services, resulting in reduced costs that have made this an affordable alternative for several podcasters.
- Proofreading is essential. While automated transcription has improved significantly in recent years, it still contains errors. It is essential to thoroughly review the transcribed content and make necessary adjustments.
Top-notch services that provide podcast transcriptions.
After completing the recording of your podcast utilizing a tool such as Riverside.fm, you will need to upload the WAV file to obtain a transcription.
- Cheap. The cost per minute of audio is less than one dollar, but the specific pricing depends on the chosen turnaround time.
- Video and Audio Transcription.
- Rush order option. So you can meet tight deadlines.
- Accurate. Every text is examined, edited for errors and ensured of high quality to guarantee utmost precision.
- Technical Transcription. If your podcast delves into specialized topics, GoTranscript can handle them as they are equipped to deal with complex or technical subject matter.
- Timestamps. GoTranscript provides timestamps in two methods, either after every 2 minutes or whenever the speaker transitions.
- Turn around is slow. If you do not opt for the rush order service, the time required for completion may extend up to three days.
- Audio and Video Transcription.
- Fast turnaround. The majority of transcriptions are provided within 12 hours. However, if you have a strict time limit, you can expedite the process by paying an extra $1 per minute of audio to receive the files up to 5 times quicker.
- Accuracy. 99% accuracy
- Transcribes all accents. Non-American accents will not incur any extra fees, and it is possible to transcribe recordings that feature multiple speakers and background noise without additional cost.
- More costly. $1.25/minute of audio.
- Additional cost for timestamps. To include timestamps, an extra charge of $0.25 per minute of audio is applicable.
Type: Automated Transcription
- Quick turnaround. In just a few moments (although you may need to make some revisions), nearly instantaneously.
- Ensure that you review, make changes and confirm the accuracy of the content using the Trint Editor. You can verify the words that appear on your screen by watching in real-time as your podcast is transcribed.
- File can be any duration. You can set any length for your file due to the way their pricing is organized around subscriptions.
- Vocab builder. Trint can assist you in creating a collection of particular terms, expressions, and names that are relevant to your podcast, which will enhance the precision of your transcription, especially when it is filled with specialized language.
- Timestamps. Your transcription automatically includes timestamps.
- Costly yearly or monthly membership fee. For some individuals, paying $44 per month for Trint may not be a feasible choice due to financial constraints.
- Lower accuracy. Making edits is still necessary in automated transcription.
One should determine where to place the transcriptions of their podcasts.
There are various methods to incorporate your podcast transcript, based on your target audience and desired outcome.
- On each episode’s pageYou have the option of placing your transcription below your show notes in written format. This allows for immediate availability and entices listeners to utilize the transcription.
- One exclusive webpage for your academic records. A dedicated webpage can be made to host all your transcripts, serving as a centralized location where visitors can easily access them. It acts like an archive or repository for your transcripts.
- Downloadable transcripts. Reworded paragraph: Certain podcasters opt for providing downloadable transcripts. You can make your transcript available as a PDF or Word document, enabling your listeners to download it. However, it is important to bear in mind that including PDF or Word documents on your website does not contribute to your SEO.
- Publish as a blog post. Converting your podcast content into a blog post is an excellent strategy to repurpose it and enhance the quality of the transcript. Sharing it as a separate post on your blog can also attract visitors to your website and other content.
- Video podcast. In case you have made a video podcast, it is suggested to add your transcript as captions, so that your audience can still appreciate the high-quality visuals.
Extra advice for transcribing your podcast.
- Produce a style guide. Although it may require some time commitment, the advantages are significant. No matter if you use AI software or human transcribers, it is important that your transcripts have a consistent appearance. Establishing a style guide can aid your team in comprehending the formatting, grammar, structure and other aspects.
- Ensure that you incorporate time codes in your written record. Timestamps are useful for readers who are searching for a particular section of the text because they allow for easy navigation.
- Think about formattingIn order to properly format their work, similar to how they would with an article by including quotes and subheadings, the aforementioned examples require a significant amount of time. Additionally, proper formatting is beneficial for both improving SEO optimization and enhancing the overall reading experience for viewers.
- Use your transcript.After investing both time and funds into creating a transcript for your podcast, ensure that you make the most of it. Besides publishing it on your website, explore the option of reusing the written content for your marketing or social media strategies.
FAQs on Podcast Transcriptions
How do I transcribe a podcast for free?
There are online tools available that can help you transcribe your podcast without any cost. Some of the popular free resources for podcast transcription include:
- Express Scribe
How do I transcribe podcasts to text?
There are three methods available for accomplishing this task. They include:
- Manually transcribe a podcast yourself
- Hire a skilled transcription service to generate transcripts of your podcasts for you.
- Generate transcriptions for podcasts automatically using a transcript generator.
What is the duration needed to write down a podcast episode?
Varying lengths of time depending on the episode length and the effectiveness of the tool. Manual transcription generally takes longer, whereas automated tools can provide faster results.
Can I get a transcript of a podcast?
Certainly! Obtaining a transcript of a podcast can be done easily. If the podcast belongs to you, utilizing a podcast transcript generator or service will enable you to acquire a transcription with no difficulty.
provider of the distribution platform for assistance in getting a transcript of a show that is not yours. However, the process may differ depending on the platform used.
For instance, on YouTube, requesting a transcript can be done by clicking on the three dots located underneath the video. If this method does not work, it may be necessary to seek help from the distribution platform provider to obtain a transcript.
Is a podcast transcript worth it?
transcripts for your podcasts is a valuable investment that can increase your visibility and audience reach. They enhance search engine optimization by ranking your show higher in search results, which is why it’s essential to incorporate relevant keywords into the transcript. By doing so, you can optimize SEO and expand your market exposure.
Converting podcasts into text transcripts is beneficial for non-native speakers who can then understand the content better. This makes a podcast accessible to a wider audience. Transcripts can also be used to create blog posts or social media content, which will help extend your reach even more.
convincing and impactful by including transcriptions of each episode. This is backed up by the fact that even the largest and most well-known podcasts are now making sure to offer transcriptions.
So, if you’ve been searching for ways to increase your audience, look no further than adding episode transcriptions to your podcast. It’s a quick and easy way to enhance the accessibility and reach of your content.
By making your audio content easily accessible and inclusive, you will be breathing new life into it and increasing its quotability. This is an obvious choice.